A couple of Thanksgivings ago I teamed up with my friends at Marley Spoon to create an easy kid-friendly Thanksgiving craft and I came up with this turkey napkin ring. In my sketch, above, I used a dyed coffee filter and a toilet tube, two of my favorite materials!
Marley Spoon subscribers received the project as a cut-out sheet in their yummy dinner kit boxes, but you can click here to print one out ! (TIP: print it at 95%.) Have your kids color it in, fold the feather tail and staple the whole thing together (detailed instructions are on the sheet.)
To make this crafty version:
- dyed coffee filters, instructions here
- toilet tube
- yellow cardstock
- red cardstock
- black marker or two dots (hole-punched from black paper)
- Cut a colored coffee filter in half. This will leave you with two tails.
- Carefully insert your scissors into the middle of the toilet tube and cut halfway around curving up to make a head on the other half.
- Cut a small kite-shaped piece (you can use this template) to make a beak and a small waddle-shaped piece from the red for....the waddle! :)
- Fold back the top of the beak (as in the photo) so you have little tabs to attach to the toilet tube. Glue everything in place!
I also used a dyed coffee filter tail to make a turkey paper cup! Make a few to fill with treats or crayons and put them on your Thanksgiving kid's table!
Check out my previous post for another easy kid-friendly craft using coffee filters! And here to see a turkey balloon, also with a coffee filter tail!