These portrait lollipops I made for my husband are inspired by the Funny Face Pops in our book, Candy Aisle Crafts. Making them was some of the most fun that I had working on the book! I was creating all different shapes of lollipops for our hard candy chapter and Amy and I talked about including a page of people portrait lollipops. When she suggested that I try making Bert and Ernie–like faces, I was inspired! Make some for your Valentine...or your favorite couple!
1. Preheat the oven to 275°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Arrange the candies on the baking sheet. Place in the oven for 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Remove and let cool for 45 seconds to 1 minute.
4. Reshape and press on the half-piece of red candy for the mouth.
5. Return to the oven for 2 minutes to melt the mouth. Remove and let cool for 1 minute.
6. Use a skewer to tug at the mouth to shape it into a smile and drop on the reserved nose piece.
7. Add the stick and twist to cover with candy.
8. Press on nonpareils for eyes and licorice for a mustache (optional). Tuck licorice hair behind or over the face. Place the baking sheet back in the oven for 2 to 3 minutes to smooth. Remove from the oven and cool on the baking sheet. (Tip: If the nose melts into the face, you can drop a new nose piece on top of the melted one.)
Happy Valentines Day to you and your crew! (And check out our book, Candy Aisle Crafts, for more lollipop and hard candy projects!)