These pops, made by melting supermarket candies, are perfect party favors or school Valentines! You can even use up any leftover peppermints swirl candies you may have from Christmas! Kids can help arrange the candies on the (cool) baking sheet and adults should do the hot work of taking the pan in and out of the oven and shaping the lollipops.
- parchment paper
- assorted hard candies such as Jolly Ranchers, Jolly Rancher Fruit Smoothies, or starlight mints
- stick (store-bought lollipop stick or a wooden skewer with the point cut off)
- heart-shaped sprinkles (optional, for round pop with inset heart)
STEP 1 FOR ALL POPS:
1. Preheat the oven to 275°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
ROUND POP WITH INSET HEART (top):
2. Arrange 2 whole candies on the lined baking sheet, as shown.
3. Place in the oven for 5 to 6 minutes. In the meantime, cut two shards off of a third piece of candy with scissors or kitchen shears. Remove and let cool for 1 minute.
4. Reshape and press the candy shards into a V-shape. Add the stick by putting it on the bottom and twisting to coat with candy.
5. Return to the oven for 2 minutes. Remove and let cool for 1 minute. Use the skewer to tug at the center heart and shape it.
6. Return it to the oven for 2 to 4 minutes to smooth. Remove from the oven and let cool down, if needed. (If needed, let it cool for 1 minute and reshape it and then return it to the oven for 1 to 2 minutes to smooth. Remove from the oven and let cool.)
PEPPERMINT SWIRL POP (middle):
2. Put the peppermint candy on the lined baking sheet.
3. Place the baking sheet in the oven for about 7 minutes. Remove and let cool for 1 minute.
4. Squish on the heart-shaped sprinkle. Shape the candy into a heart, if desired. Put the stick under the candy and press to adhere.
5. Return to the oven for 1 to 2 minutes to allow the candy to adhere to the stick. Remove from the oven and let cool.
FOR SIMPLE HEART POP (bottom):
2. Arrange the candy on the baking sheet in a V-shape.
3. Place in the oven for about 5 minutes. Remove and let cool for 1 minute.
4. Reshape, if needed, pinching the bottom to make it pointy. Add the stick by putting it on the bottom and twisting to coat with candy.
5. Return it to the oven for 2 to 3 minutes until smooth. Remove from the oven and let it cool on the baking sheet.
If you like making homemade lollipops, check out our book, Candy Aisle Crafts. We have a whole chapter on making lollipops and crafting with supermarket hard candies. Please let us know if you try anything. Happy Valentines Day!